·Increase in precipitation recorded this week – 54.5 mm (2.15 inches)
·Very stable harvest pattern continues
·Quality improvements are notable – improved sugar content, internal and external color
·Public employees continue strike into its fourth week
·Talks between parties continue stalled
·Courts have declared strike illegal so some employees are returning to work
·Ports operating almost normal, only delays caused by roadblocks
·Volumes are back to normal levels
We take wide-ranging and constant participation in the development and advancement of local communities, and as one of our several charity initiatives, Chestnut Hill Farms proudly sponsors Team Lund and their participation in the fight against Children’s Cancer. Team Rynkeby is a Nordic charity cycling team that rides to Paris each summer to raise money for seriously ill children. We decided to sponsor Team Rynkeby because we feel it is appropriate to expand our social responsibility projects to the areas where our fruit is shipped, and are proud to support their effort.
Attention, attention! It’s our favorite time of the year here on the farm…National Pineapple Month! October marks the time of year to pick yourself up one of these delicious, healthy tropical treats to enjoy and share with family and friends. National Pineapple Month is dedicated to this tantalizing fruit, native to the Americas and first consumed by the Tupi people. So why is there an entire month dedicated to this tropical fruit? Well, because pineapples are amazing and delicious in so many different ways!
Let’s face it: the age old tradition of carving pumpkins for the Halloween season can be a messy and dissatisfying process. Between the sticky innards of this hefty gourd, and the thick skin of a pumpkin, it can also be difficult to achieve your artistic vision when carving. This fall season, try out a tropical, healthy, sweet alternative to the traditional pumpkin carving…pineapple jack-o-lanterns! Check out the quick video below to learn how to carve a pineapple jack-o-lantern of your own this Halloween.
How to Create Your Own Pineapple Jack-O-Lantern
First off, remove the base of the pineapple.
Next, use a pineapple corer to remove the core of the fruit.
After creating your own design, using a template, or sketching directly onto your fruit, it’s time to start carving! For our creations, we opted to highlight characters from some of our favorite films: Disney’s Little Mermaid, Harry Potter, and Star Wars. Cut out your desired shape, making sure to keep your knife upright and pointed away from yourself and others.
Once your design has been completed, place a small candle inside of your upright pineapple.
Finally, turn off the lights to see your pineapple masterpiece!
Not only does learning how to carve a pineapple jack-o-lantern give kids an opportunity to get creative and expand on a classic holiday tradition, it also is a great way to create a healthy snack for your loved ones. Once your pineapple has been cored, there’s plenty of sweet fruit to be enjoyed! With fall being one of the best times to consume our perfect pineapples, we have collected some of our favorite fall pineapple recipes for the whole family to enjoy. Check out some savory fall pineapple dish ideas here!
· A few scattered showers barely accumulated 8 mm (1/3”)
· Slight harvest age increase – more fruit harvested at 22 weeks after forcing (WAF) than prior week
· Harvest volumes are back to normal
· Public employee strike ending third week. Talks between union representatives and government officials is stalled.
· Roadblocks may cause delays in transit to port but loading operations are back to normal
Kick Off the Fall Season with Some Pineapple Facts!
As the fall season draws nearer, visions of hot cocoa, pumpkin spice treats and cookies of every variety begin to dance in our heads. When you think of a fall cuisine, it’s most likely that your mind immediately turns to thinking of pumpkin, squash and other Thanksgiving day staples like cranberries and mashed potatoes. However, these stereotypical fall treats can leave you feeling lethargic and weighed-down. Mix up your fall cuisine with the perfect treat to kick off the season: the perfect Chestnut Hill Farms pineapple! Not only are our pineapples juicy, delicious and available year round, they are packed with nutritional values that will help boost your immune system and keep you feeling healthy all winter long. Check out some of our favorite fall pineapple facts below!
· The dry spell continues with less than one tenth of an inch ( 2.3 mm) of precipitation recorded.
· All agricultural practices now on schedule
· Harvest age was increased slightly seeking improved internal conditions but careful not to overcompensate given changes in climatic conditions.
· Overall quality remains very acceptable.
· Nationwide strikes moves into the second week –
· Meetings between government officials and union representatives started Monday
· Talks are deadlocked with parties at odds over:
· Government officials demand strike to be lifted in order for talks to continue
· Union officials demand grievances addressed before the stroke is lifted
· Port operations have resumed although at a slower pace than normal
Welcome the Season With These Delicious Fall Pineapple Recipes!
Although the pineapple may be synonymous with sandy beaches, tropical getaways and poolside hangs, this superfood fruit can be enjoyed well beyond the summer months. Not only are our perfect pineapples available all year round, it may actually be a better time than ever to consume the sweet fruit as the fall and winter months approach.
Pineapples are packed with Vitamin C and bromelain, both of which have some amazing health benefits. This high source of Vitamin C drastically helps the immune system fight off cold and sickness, which bromelain works as an anti-inflammatory. Bromelain also works to fight off infection and eliminate bacteria. This powerful combination is just what you need to get through the changing of the seasons feeling healthy and happy. Looking for more ways to incorporate pineapple into your cuisine? Check out some of our favorite fall pineapple recipes below!
· Scattered light drizzles brought only 27.5 mm (just over 1 inch) of rainfall
· Improved climatic conditions enabled farms to prepare land, plant and carry out good husbandry practices
· We expect this drier weather to last a couple of months
· But now a country wide strike called by unions of public employees is paralyzing the country.
· Imports and exports are trickling in and out. Fuel shortages expected. Vessels cancelled.
Is Sugar Found in Fruit Good or Bad for Your Health?
Nutrition can be a fickle beast. With countless fitness bloggers, nutrition gurus and exercise experts out there on the web, it can be difficult to decipher what foods will benefit your body and what foods with do more damage than good. Let us make it simple for you: think back to your younger years; to the years filled with nap times, gold stars and crayons. Now picture yourself spilling out those crayons to create a masterpiece in your art class. What if the box was filled entirely with black and white crayons instead of a wide array of dazzling tones? That wouldn’t create a very pretty picture at all.